The NetDB@Penn research group is led by Professor
Boon Thau Loo
group applies data-centric techniques and formal methods to the
design, analysis, and implementation of distributed systems. We are
currently interested in the development of new programming tools and
analysis techniques that improve the process of designing,
implementing, verifying, and securing large-scale distributed
systems. We take an inter-disciplinary approach, combining ideas from
databases, networking, programming languages, and formal methods.
Given the inter-disciplinary nature of our work, we have published
across a wide range of conferences, including databases (SIGMOD, VLDB,
CIDR, ICDE, SOCC), networking (SIGCOMM, TON, HotNets, CoNEXT, ICNP,
COMSNET), security (NDSS), systems (SOSP, USENIX ATC), and formal
methods (TACAS, PPDP, FMOODS, TPHOLs). We strive towards open-source
releases of our research prototypes, demonstrated at major conferences
such as SIGMOD and SIGCOMM.
- 25 Jul'14: NetDB@Penn research group receives $25K research gift from AT&T Labs Research.
- 21 Jul'14: Check out Prof. Loo's ONF article on NetDB@Penn spinoff.
- 2 May'14: Dr. Zhuoyao Zhang successfully defended her dissertation and will join Google in July 2014. Congrats Zhuoyao!
- 22 Nov'13: Check out our Datalog survey paper!!
- 7 Nov '13: Technical.ly (Philly) interview article on Prof. Loo.
- 13 Sept '13: Learn about Gencore Systems, a spinoff from NetDB@Penn.
- 25 Jul '13 Congrats to Dr. Anduo Wang for the successful completion of her thesis!
- 12 May '13 Wenchao Zhou received honorable mention for the ACM SIGMOD Dissertation Award, 2013.
- 10 May '13 Anduo Wang will join the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign as a post-doctoral researcher.
- 17 Mar '13 Scalanytics paper accepted at ACM HPDC'13.
- 6 Mar '13: Penn team (advised by Prof. Loo) wins first placing at the Juniper/AT&T Hackathon.
- 1 Oct '12: Distributed Time-aware Provenance paper accepted at VLDB'13.
- 19 Sept '12: Zhuoyao Zhang received the best student paper award at ACM ICAC'12 for her paper titled "Automated Profiling and Resource Management of Pig Programs for Meeting Service Level Objectives".
- 12 Sept '12: Article in the Daily Pennsylvanian on the Penn database group.
- 7 Aug '12: NSF CNS-1218066 recommended for funding.
- 20 Jul '12: Dr. Changbin Liu and Dr. Wenchao Zhou have successfully defended. Click here for dissertations.
- 31 May '12: BGPVerif, Route Shepherd, and SP4 demos accepted at SIGCOMM'12.
- 18 May '12: Pig resource management paper accepted at ICAC'12.
- 18 May '12: PennOS paper accepted at ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review (OSR) journal.
- 7 May '12: Mengmeng Liu will be joining @WalmartLabs.
- 25 Apr '12: Changbin Liu will be joining AT&T Labs Research as a full-time researcher.
- 24 Apr '12: Wenchao Zhou will be joining Georgetown University as a tenure-track Assistant Professor.
- 3 Apr '12: NSF Expeditions on Computer-assisted Programming funded! See press release.
- 27 Mar '12: TROPIC paper on transactional cloud orchestration accepted at Usenix ATC'12.
- 13 Feb '12: Cologne declarative constraint optimization accepted at VLDB'12.
- 13 Feb '12: Declarative networking book published by Morgan & Claypool.
- 21 Jan '12: FSR paper accepted at IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking.
- 19 Jan '12: DMF's transactional task management framework is highlighted in AT&T's new cloud initiative based on OpenStack. See blog and blueprint for more details.
- 13 Jan '12: Prof. Loo receives the 2012 AFOSR Young Investigator Award for research work on formally verifiable routing.
- 16 Dec '11: BGP reduction paper accepted at TACAS 2012.
- 11 Nov '11: Invited paper and keynote speech at PADL'12 on Recent Advances on Declarative Networking.
- 10 Nov '11: PUMA paper accepted at COMSNETS'11.
- 18 Aug '11: Wenchao Zhou received 2nd place for the ACM Student Research Competition at SIGCOMM'11 for the FSR demonstration.
- 16 Aug '11: DAWN paper accepted by IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN).
- 16 Aug '11: MOSAIC paper accepted by Elsevier Computer Networks.
- 15 Aug '11: Awarded NSF grants CNS-1065130, CNS-1117052, and CNS-1117185.
- 9 Aug '11: FVR website is launched.
- 8 Aug '11: Secure Network Provenance paper accepted at ACM SOSP 2011.
- 12 Jul '11: Declarative Automated Cloud orchestration paper
accepted at ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing (SOCC) 2011.
- 9 Jun '11: PUMA website is launched.
- 6 Jun '11: FSR demonstration accepted at SIGCOMM 2011.
- 4 June '11: CIS 533 course projects to be presented at SIGCOMM Education workshop 2011.
- 29 Mar '11: Prof. Loo is the PC co-chair of the inaugural International Workshop on Rigorous Protocol Engineering (WRiPE 2011), co-located with ICNP 2011. Do submit a paper there!
- 29 Mar '11: Sandy Sun (undergraduate researcher in the NetTrials project) received the 2011-2012 Microsoft Undergraduate Scholarship.
- 14 Feb '11: NetTrials demonstration and Datalog tutorial accepted at SIGMOD'11.
- 2 Jan '11: Release of CIS 553 course projects based on ns-3.
- 15 Dec '10: Launch of SAFEST project, funded under the DARPA SAFER program.
- 24 Oct '10: A3 source code release.
- 26 Aug '10: Nebula NSF Future Internet Architecture (FIA) grant award.
- 4 Aug '10: Veracity source code release.
- 30 Apr '10: Micah Sherr received Penn's Rubinoff award. This award is given to CIS graduating PhDs "whose dissertation has resulted in or could lead to innovative applications of computer technology."
- 28 Mar '10: Micah Sherr will be joining Georgetown University as an Assistant Professor in Fall 2010.
- 6 Feb '10: Network Provenance and SecureBlox accepted at SIGMOD'10.
- 10 Dec '09: RapidNet v0.2 with support for Secure Network Datalog.
- 12 Nov '09: Application-aware Anonymity (A3) paper accepted at NDSS'10.
- 9 Nov '09: Declarative networking paper published in the 11/09 issue of CACM.
- 21 Oct '09: Recursive View Maintenance paper accepted at TKDE Journal (special issue on best papers of ICDE 2009).
- 15 Sept '09: Formally Verifiable Networking paper accepted at HotNets '09.
- 7 Sept '09: RapidNet v0.1 released.
- 4 Sept '09: Doctoral student Rafi Rubin received the 08-09 Teaching Practicum Award in Prof. Loo's CIS 505 course on Software Systems.
- 1 Sept '09: Prof. Loo is co-chairing NetDB 2009 (14 Oct '09) co-located
with SOSP 2009.
- 18 Aug '09: RapidNet toolkit demonstrated at SIGCOMM 2009.
- 24 Jul '09: Declarative Policy-based Adaptive MANET Routing paper accepted at ICNP 2009.
- 9 Jul '09: RapidMesh paper accepted at Mobicom/WinTECH 2009.
- 8 Jul '09: Micah Sherr successfully defends his dissertation, Coordinate-Based Routing for High Performance Anonymity.
- 1 Jul '09: Group members and Penn undergraduate alumni Andrew Mao and Bill Marczak are pursuing their Ph.D. in Computer Science at Harvard University and UC Berkeley respectively.